Wednesday, April 29, 2015

NO LONGER GREEN AS GRASS

Three years, and what a ride, though it seems like yesterday when my author friend, Linda Nance, hosted a Facebook event for the launch of The Tangled Web. As far as I remember, my only involvement was making the book free for the event – which was a disaster – for 37 terrifying hours.

Every author’s nightmare
The event was planned for a Friday and Saturday. Early Friday morning, (3:00 a.m. on the dot) I dashed to my computer to see if the price change was in effect. It wasn’t. I was concerned, but who was I going to message at 3:00 a.m.? I went back to bed and woke at around 6:00. Still no price change. I began to have a bad feeling.

Linda surfaced at around 9:00. She didn’t think there was any reason to panic – yet. When afternoon rolled around and the book still wasn't free, she conceded there might be some cause for concern. By this time, guests were pouring onto the event page on Facebook. I was cringing while making futile calls to Amazon. Linda kept posting, “Check back in an hour.” I can't count how many times she did that.

Being green as grass back then, I didn’t know anything about the workings of Facebook, but those comments, which would have showed up on news feeds, must have made a few people curious. By mid-afternoon the event page was crowded with comments as more and more guests arrived. By nightfall I was drained. The book still wasn't free. Saturday dawned and the situation remained the same, but still guests kept coming back.

And then it happened
It was shortly after 4:00 on Saturday afternoon when the good news came all the way from Scotland in the form of a post on the event page by author Jon Magee. “It’s free in the UK!” OMG, it was free – finally! I rushed to Amazon. To my dismay, it still wasn’t free in the U.S.

I’m not sure when the U.S. finally made it to the free line, but it wasn’t long after the U.K. Linda had virtually taken over the event by this. My mind had turned to mush. I’m not sure when she started posting the rankings either. I just remember messaging her to ask what all that stuff she was posting meant. I never knew there was such a thing as an Amazon ranking. “It’s a free bestseller in its genre!” she explained in a very excited voice. “It’s #14 in Romantic Suspense in the U.S. and #17 in the UK." Armed with this knew knowledge, I checked all the Amazon stores myself. Surprise of surprises, it was #15 in Germany. To cut this long story short, the two-day event turned into a three-day event which took me about as many days to recover from.

43 Kindle Reviews Later
Oprah never did invite me to be a guest on her show, and The Tangled Web never made it to the New York Times bestseller list, but I have a lot to be thankful for. The Kindle edition of The Tangled Web has 43 reviews (Amazon U.S. and U.K. combined) with a 4.5-star average ranking in U.S. and 4.6-stars in the U.K. It also has 75 ratings/32 reviews on Goodreads. My heartfelt thanks to everyone who has read the Tangled Web and to those who took the time to review it. And many thanks to Linda Nance for being such a great friend, and for my first interview back in 2012. Read it here.

Comments from reviewers
"Loved it."
"Absolutely brilliant book/read."
"Captivating, enthralling, intriguing.”


HAPPY ANNIVERSARY TANGLED WEB



US http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007Z5Y3ZQ

Please don't rush off to download The Tangled Web just yet. There's one more thing. I'd like to dedicate this Beatles song to all the wonderful authors who have supported me. Thank you, dear friends. I couldn't have got by without your help. 






2 comments:

  1. so glad to have been able to be there for you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll never forget that afternoon, Jon. :) You saved me from a nervous breakdown.

      Delete